Friday, 30 May 2014

Oh dear... looks like this isn't the only "Albion Calling" blog out there...

When I started this blog back in April 2012, I wanted it to have a punchy title that people would remember and that said a little something about me. Due to the fact that I am English, live in England, and spend much of my time researching the archaeology, history, and folklore of Britain, I thought of the name Albion Calling, with Albion being an old and evocative name for the island. For me, the title also implies that while adopting an internationalist perspective and hoping to gain an international readership, I am still Albion-based; thus I am in Albion, calling out to the world.

At the time, I had a look through a few search engines to check that no one else had used that title before, and as nothing popped up, I went ahead and stuck with the name. However, unbeknownst to me, "Albion Calling" had indeed been used before. Earlier today I came across another Albion Calling blog, on the same Blogger platform as this one no less; this Albion Calling however was the defunct page of a far-right activist operating from Liverpool that called on people to support the British National Party (BNP), a fascist group whose white nationalist policies are laughable and horrific in equal measure. It doesn't seem that that particular blog ran for very long (March 2009 to January 2010) and neither does it seem to have had much of a readership (hence its seeming omission from search engines), but nevertheless its very existence made me briefly consider renaming this blog to avoid confusion. In the end I decided against that drastic action, partly because much of my readership already knows this blog as Albion Calling, and partly because I thought it important to emphasise that it isn't only right-wing nationalists who can lay claim to terms like "Albion" and take pride and interest in Britain's rich and varied heritage.


So to clarify, my Albion Calling (http://ethandoylewhite.blogspot.co.uk/) is a blog about the archaeology, history, and folklore of religion, ritual, and the preternatural. The other Albion Calling (http://albioncalling.blogspot.co.uk/) is a defunct blog of the far right with a fairly racist view of the world... which is not something that I condone in the slightest. So if you are ever adding a link to this site then please, please, please make sure that you have the right URL !

No comments:

Post a Comment