Monday, 3 March 2014

New Publication: My Review of Sarah Semple's "Perceptions of the Prehistoric in Anglo-Saxon England" in Papers from the Institute of Archaeology

Earlier today, Ubiquity Press sent me an email just to let me know that they have published my latest academic book review online, and thanks to their open access ethos, anyone can read or download it for free. The review in question has been brought out in peer-reviewed journal Papers from the Institute of Archaeology (PIA), which is published through my own beloved alma mater, the UCL Institute of Archaeology in Bloomsbury, Central London. As regular readers might recall, I have previously published in PIA volume 43 (2013), on that occasion with a review of Rountree, Morris, and Peatfield's edited volume on Archaeology of Spiritualities, and I was  honoured to have the opportunity to write for them again this year.

The book which I have reviewed this time is one that I have been excited about for a long time; Sarah Semple's Perceptions of the Prehistoric in Anglo-Saxon England: Religion, Ritual and Rulership in the Landscape. Published by Oxford University Press as part of their ongoing series on Medieval History and Archaeology, it represented the culmination of many years of Semple's research, and is a fantastic contribution to the study of Anglo-Saxon archaeology. I'm pretty proud of this particular review; I think that it's perhaps one of my best to date, but I'll let others be the judge of that! It can be accessed by anyone for free over at the PIA website.

No comments:

Post a Comment