Saturday, 9 June 2012

An update: bachelor degrees and publications...

Back in September 2009, fresh from secondary school, I embarked on a new stage of life and began my academic study of archaeology at the prestigious Institute of Archaeology, now a part of University College London. Yesterday afternoon, that all came to an end. Thankfully, three years of hard work has paid off, and I managed to be one of the twelve individuals in my year to have obtained a first-class degree, something that I hope will set me in good stead for future employment and all that. At the end of this Summer, I start my masters degree, also in archaeology, which will again be based at the UCL Institute of Archaeology, a really fantastic place that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone wishing to study the subject in the United Kingdom.

While waiting outside the grey 1950s block that is the Institute yesterday afternoon, an amiable Russian colleague-in-arms named Eugenia handed me a copy of the latest edition of Artifact magazine. A publication brought out by students, for students, Artifact is now into its second year and fifth issue, a special edition dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Institute that contains an interview with Institute director Steve Shennan. For the first time, some of my own work has been included within its pages, the transcript of a talk I gave at the May 2011 UCL-IOA undergraduate conference, which was based on the rather broad theme of "Archaeology in a Rapidly Changing World." Entitled "Archaeology and Neopaganism: A Stormy Relationship in Britain Today", the transcript, like the talk which I originally gave, is designed as an introduction to the relationship between archaeology and the Pagan community in contemporary Britain, delving into the work of academics like Cynthia Eller, Robert Wallis and Jenny Blain, naturally accompanied by some of my own observations from having been involved with both communities.I'll be the first to admit that it is hardly pioneering or scholarly stuff, but I hope that it might just get a few archaeologists to think a little differently when they next encounter a Pagan.

Once again, my name has been
erroneously double-barreled!!!
Nice use of images though.

The latest edition of Artifact magazine,
brought to you by the fine undergraduate
students of the UCL-IOA.

4 comments:

  1. Congratuations on your good uni result - brainiac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your degree. Is the article available online anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chas. No, I haven't yet uploaded it online, although I might stick it on here at some point in the future. As I said, it's really nothing special, just a transcript designed primarily for an archaeological audience explaining what Contemporary Paganism is, the areas of contention between archaeologists and Pagans, and potential paths for reconciliation. From an academic perspective, I've done nothing on the contemporary relationship between Paganism and archaeology, as there already a number of good people working in that area.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Just saw this. And well, Artifact is now available online along with Ethan's wonderful article on Neopaganism...

    http://issuu.com/artifact-magazine/docs/artifact_75_x4_hq__25281_2529

    ReplyDelete